English Language Training 2017
Candidates selected for Australia Award Scholarships receive conditional offers, subject to:
- meeting all visa requirements to study in Australia (including health requirements)
- confirmed acceptance into a course at an Australian university
- meeting English language requirements for entry into a selected course.
English language proficiency is essential to succeed in postgraduate studies in Australia. To be accepted into most courses, recipients require an IELTS (Academic) overall score of at least 6.5 with no band less than 6.0, or acceptable TOEFL equivalent. Some courses required higher levels and if they do, recipients must meet that entry requirement before they can be placed.
Every recipient of an Australia Award Scholarship must attend a compulsory English language training course or Academic Preparation course. Applicants must understand this commitment and discuss it with their employers before they apply. Some employers maintain salaries for the first three months of this training but others do not. There is a stipend available through the Program after three months, subject to satisfactory attendance and progress.
Recipients, who have satisfactory IELTS (Academic) scores for entry into courses when they apply, do not undertake English language training but must complete an Academic Preparation course. This is compulsory and recipients require full-time work release to attend.
Recipients with IELTS (Academic) scores below 6.5 (or equivalent official TOEFL paper-based and internet-based scores) complete a compulsory English language training program targeted to their individual needs.
In 2017, Santis Educational Services will deliver two pre-departure training courses on behalf of the Program and they are all conducted in Ulaanbaatar. They are:
- Mainstream English language course: In 2017, this is for recipients living and working in Ulaanbaatar with IELTS (Academic) scores of 5.5 or 6.0 and no band score less than 5.0 – or acceptable TOEFL equivalent. Recipients living and working in provinces, may have an IELTS (Academic) score of 5.0 with band scores in Reading and Writing no less than 5.0 – or acceptable TOEFL equivalent.
This course is up to 26 weeks in length depending on the English language level at application. It prepares recipients to sit IELTS examinations.
Those who successfully complete this course continue into an Academic Preparation course.
- Academic preparation course: This course is for recipients who have at least IELTS (Academic) 6.5 or acceptable TOEFL equivalent at application or who successfully complete the Mainstream course.
Candidates in the Mainstream course are placed into classes based on a pre-test conducted by Santis Educational Services at the start of the course. This means candidates are grouped with others at similar proficiency levels to allow for better targeted teaching.
IELTS is the main test used in Mongolia to determine English language proficiency. For further details see www.ielts.org. Official paper-based and internet-based TOEFL and the Pearson Test of English are also accepted.